Friday, August 24, 2007

Books are good.

Today I interviewed and hired a new employee. Then I came home and cleaned, did the dishes with my boy, put away laundry from two weeks ago, answered some (but not all) emails, and checked on my American Apparel order's status (it seems to be in stand still at the LA Fedex).

In-between all of this I read.

I have been running out of books lately, rereading all of mine far too many times. I even accidentally read one of my favorites far too soon, you have to leave a really good book alone for a certain amount of time. I used to have a roommate (Boz) who had a collection to rival my own (she also worked at Barnes and Noble and kept us both stocked with the finest of new titles). Before that I had my sisters who also had large quantities of books. Lately it's been sad. I'm very lazy about walking the few blocks to the library in 100+ weather and I get scared at the vast amount of shiny new top sellers at Borders.

I much prefer, I've found, friends just handing me books and telling me, "You should read this." Enter my roommate Jared. He walked into our "hang out" room in the mid-afternoon with a stack of five books. He'd dug around to find me something to read. One of them was:



I started it immediately. Jonathan Lethem is great. "Girl In Landscape" is my favorite but this was very good. Yes, I can say it "was" good because I finished it. Jameson seems to think it is very impressive that I can finish an entire book in less than a day, especially considering I was taking breaks from the book to accomplish actual tasks. It doesn't seem amazing to me, I'm pretty sure all the females (and I think my young nephew) in my family devour books just as fast.

Now I will get to the point: if any of you folks have any books you think I should read - please tell me!

ps- Jameson is reading "The Omnivores Dilemma" and he kept reading snippets to me. So, my reading was interspersed with lovely little nuggets about how everything we eat is made of corn and how we are, essentially, people made of corn. Awesomeness.

5 comments:

Viacom Ego said...

Are you seriously unleashing this flood? 'Cause I can bring it.

lildira said...

Oops.

I forgot that you used to just give me stacks o' books when you lived with us.

I don't have space for stacks - just like a couple suggestions, or maybe a top five-type-list.

I sometimes forget how big your brain is.

April said...

I really like Lethem's 'memoir' 'The Disappointment Artist' but I actually listened to it.
I am reading a book now that if/when I finish it I will mail to you. Or, it's on remainder/bargain everywhere... http://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Flame-Queen-Loana/dp/B000SZVF4M/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-1387503-4111164?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187966091&sr=8-2

April said...

Erm, link crappy. Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco.

lildira said...

I will look it up!

And I will see you soon !!! I can't wait!